What Is Western Union?
When it comes to money transfer, Western Union is the most trusted company and number one in the field. Some of its services are: Western Union money transfer online (on wu.com or using WU App) and onsite through a worldwide network of branches and agents. Also Western Union tracker (money transfer tracking) and wire/bank transfer. Other send money services, like Ria money transfers and Money Grams comes after Western Union for the factors you will read in this article.
Western Union: Quick Facts
- 500,000+ Agent locations around the globe
- In over 200 countries and territories
- Transacting in 130 currencies
- 34 transactions each second
- You can send up to €50.000 with Western Union
- 3 Ways to send money with WU: Onsite by an agent, WP App & Online on wu.com
- You receive money in cash or as a bank transfer
- Rates & Fees depend on the country, currency and sent amount
No worries, in this article we will show you how to make money transfer with western union online for FREE (No fees)!
Western Union Send Money
How to Send Money with Western Union?
Western Union allows you to send money to 200+ countries and territories around the world. With the app, online, or from an agent location. We’ll cover the three methods in detail!
Western Union Sending Money Through Agent Location
Western Union agent locations are independent businesses that provide money transfer services to their customers on behalf of Western Union. Western Union agents offer the ability to send/receive money worldwide using cash.
From an agent location you can usually send any amount.
How to Send Money from an Agent Location?
To send money from an agent location, Just visit the nearest agent location during opening hours. and take your ID and the receiver’s details with you. Head directly to the counter. You’ll need to complete a “To Send Money” form and pay the agent the amount you want to send, plus fees, in cash.
You will get a receipt with your tracking number or MTCN (10 digits number). Share the MTCN with your receiver so the money can be picked up quickly and reliably. The receiver will get the money in cash.
We didn’t finish yet, we’ll talk about Western Union fees and sending money free of charge in a minute. Just keep following!
What Do I Need to Send Money from a WU Agent?
Sending money with Western Union from an agent location doesn’t require credit cards, debit cards, or bank accounts. But you will need to show a valid ID.
Where to Find Western Union near Me?
You could find a nearby Western Union agent location near you on this page. Once you enter your address; you’ll get a list of nearest Western Union locations around you.
Sending Money with Westernunion App
The Western Union App (available in 36 countries) lets you transfer money with just a few taps. But how does it work? Here’s your step by step guide on how to use it right.
- Download the app from Google Play or App Store (Available for free)
- Choose the receiver’s country and transfer amount
- Select your receiving method
- Select your payment method
- Log in and choose your receiver
- Confirm and pay
- Track your transfer
Making Money Transfer with WU App You Can:
- Send on the go 24/7
- Pay with your credit card, bank account or in cash
- Set up in the app, pay at an agent location
- Track your transfers in real-time
- Easy repeat transfers
Western Union Send Money Online For Free
This service is available 24/7 in 70 countries, and let you make money transfer easily through Western Union’s website. You can send money online in just a few steps:
- Go to https://westernunion.com and start with ‘Send money‘.
- Select the receiver’s country and the amount you want to transfer.
- Select your receiving method:
If you want to send money for cash pick up at a Western Union location select “Cash“.
To send money to a bank account choose “Bank account” as receiving method.
- Select your payment method:
Select “Sofort banking” or “Bank transfer” as a payment method to send money for cash pick up.
When you transfer to a bank account, choose “Credit Card” or “Bank account”.
- Register for a new account or log in if you already have one.
- Choose your receiver: Select an existing receiver or enter the name and address of a new receiver.
- Confirm and pay: Almost done! You can now complete your transaction.
If you want to pay by bank transfer, just enter your bank details and conclude your money transfer (e.g. with Sofort banking).
- Track your transfer: You will get a confirmation e-mail with a western union tracking number (MTCN).
Remember to provide this number to your receiver so he or she can pick up the money in cash (if chosen) – and you can both easily track your transfer.
How can I send money online for free?
After you fill out all details, you’ll get a transaction summary as in the image.
Hit Apply promo button. in the pop-up window, select Apply Promo tab, and then enter the code: KTHEKUHN (as it exactly: copy & paste). It worths 10 Euro.
Western Union fees will be deducted from the promo code. This way you will be able to send money online for FREE. Please keep visiting this blog for new & updated Western Union promo codes!
Choose Receiving Money Method
- Cash pickup: With more than 525,000 agent locations worldwide, finding one near your receiver is easy
- Bank account: Send money to billions of bank accounts
- Mobile wallet: In selected countries, you can send money directly to your receiver’s mobile wallet
Funds may be delayed or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements
How much money can I send online?
You can send up to 1.000 EUR without identity verification.
If you verify your identity, your sending limit will automatically increase to 5.000 EUR (in some countries up to 50.000) within a 3-day period.
The maximum sending limit is displayed when you choose your receiver’s country on the send money page.
How to confirm your identity?
If you want to send more than 1.000 EUR, we will need to confirm your identity. Once your identity has been verified, your sending limit will automatically increase up to 50.000 EUR within a 3-day period. The verification process is explained in detail on the following link
How To Pay for Western Union Money Transfer?
You can pay for your money transfer in the following ways.
- Cash at any Western Union agent
- Credit or debit card: You can pay using your debit or credit card.
Supported cards are Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, and Visa Electron.
- Sofort banking (online banking): You can pay for your money transfer using your online bank account. Once you have entered your transfer details, you will be redirected to your online banking via Klarna, Trustly, or iDeal depending on your country.
- Bank transfer from your account to Western Union:
Select bank transfer option, Enter your transfer details, Review and confirm your transfer. Your receipt with your transaction information, reference number, and Western Union bank details will be shown to you and sent to your email address.
make the payment via bank transfer. (ensure the information you provide matches the information on your Western Union receipt). Once Western Union receives your payment, a confirmation email will be sent to your email address.
Your money’s generally available in 1 or 2 business days (If you need money to be there in minutes, you can use SOFORT banking as your payment method)
you can also pay for your money transfers via alternate payment options available for your country, including Klarna, Trustly, iDeal, Faster payment, Apple Pay, and WU Pay. Your payment options will be shown to you when you start an online transfer.
Western Union’s Fees
Whether you send money online or from an agent location, Western Union’s transfer fees depend on the destination, the transfer amount, and how quickly you want your money to arrive. On the Western Union app and online at wu.com you can always check the applicable transfer fees and exchange rates before you make a transfer. Generally speaking, western union fees start from 1.90 € per transaction or 4% of the total amount. Fees will be collected at the moment of making the transaction by the sender.
What About Western Union Exchange Rates?
Western Union offers real-time information on exchange rates when sending money internationally. Check current exchange rates before making a transfer with Western Union app or online. When you send money internationally, your receiver generally will be paid in local currency. The exact amount will be calculated based on the exchange rate applicable at the time of shipment. However, for transfers to certain countries, the exact amount will be calculated based on the exchange rate applicable at the time of receipt.
How long does it take to receive money?
Receivers can pick up cash at Western Union locations worldwide just in a few minutes.
How Do I Pick Up a Money Transfer from Western Union?
To pick up the money, the receiver will complete a “To Receive Money” form at any Western Union agent location and provide proper identification. The agent then pays the transfer amount to the receiver.
To pick up the money you need:
- The tracking number (MTCN)
- Sender’s name
- Sender’s country
- Amount expected
- Acceptable ID documents
- The receiver must be at least 18 years old
What Are Acceptable Documents for Picking Up Money?
Depending on the country and the agent, where the receiver picks up the money, the acceptable IDs will vary. In general passports and national IDs are acceptable. A driver’s license might not be valid.
Western Union Online Tracking
Any time after the money has been sent, you can check your transfer status online through Western Union Tracker. All you need is the tracking number (MTCN), which is printed on your receipt. Your transaction passes through four fast stages:
- Money sent: Once you confirm the payment
- In progress: In case they need to check your account, ID, etc.
- Available: Money is ready to be picked up by the receiver
- Received: Done! the receiver already got the money!
The image below is an example of a completed transaction.
Money Transfer Cancellation
Is it possible to cancel a money transfer made online?
Yes, so long the receiver did not pick up the money yet!
How do I cancel my money transfer and ask for a refund?
To request a refund, call WU Customer Care, or if you sent the money in person, return to the agent location.
How long does it take to receive a refund?
Refunds typically take up to 10 business days
How can I call WesternUnion?
From Germany just call 0800 181 1797. It’s free of charge (No call costs). If you are located in another country, you can find your local contact Infos at https://www.westernunion.com/de/en/contact-us.html
Do you still have a question?
Just drop it in a comment!